Scholarships covering full-tuition and mandatory fees
Phi Beta Kappa Society scholarships from the local Gamma chapter at WSU recognize and foster excellence in liberal learning at the undergraduate level. Qualified, successful applicants can receive a generous award for their senior academic year at WSU in Pullman.
Applications for Awards
The Gamma chapter of the Phi Beta Kappa Society typically offers scholarships in spring for the upcoming academic year. These awards cover full resident/in-state tuition plus mandatory fees for that academic year. In keeping with the Society, these scholarships are intended to “recognize and foster excellence in liberal learning at the undergraduate level.”
Guidelines for applicants are available as a downloadable pdf.
This is typically in spring semester. See “Applications Packets” information.
Selection, Interview, and Award Notification
The Scholarship Committee consists of faculty and staff members in the local Gamma Chapter at WSU.
Applicants judged most eligible for scholarships will be interviewed personally by the Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship Committee.
Awardees are typically notified before the end of that spring semester.
Students applying for an award must:
- Have senior class standing for the upcoming/next academic year
- Have certified a major in the College of Arts and Sciences, the Murrow College of Communication, the School of Economic Sciences, the Department of Human Development, the Program in Neuroscience, or the School of Molecular Biosciences
- Have a cumulative GPA of 3.6 or higher through the fall semester preceding the spring application
- Submit a completed application packet by the closing date listed
Eligible applicants have responsibility to make sure all four (4) parts of their application packet are complete when they are submitted for review by the Scholarship Committee. Applicants prepare and submit two (2) parts themselves, and must request others prepare and submit two (2) additional parts of the packet.
You must personally submit in person or email a scanned copy of:
- Completed Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship Application form
- Personal Statement about you and your education; it is to be no longer than two pages, typed, and double-spaced; it must address the following three points:
- Phi Beta Kappa stands for freedom of inquiry and expression, disciplinary rigor, breadth of intellectual perspective, the cultivation of skills of deliberation and ethical reflection, the pursuit of wisdom, and the application of the fruits of scholarship and research in practical life. What is the value of a liberal education that fosters these ideals?
- In what way(s) is your education preparing you for a career?
- How have you financed your education to this point?
- You must request in time for others to prepare and submit the following application components:
- Three (3) Recommendation Letters from faculty members or others. You must download the Scholarship Committee’s Recommendation Form with instructions and give one copy to each of your recommenders; they will send their letters directly to the Scholarship Committee at the submission address listed on the form and shown below.
- A transcript from the WSU Office of the Registrar; ask Registrar’s Office staff to send the form directly to the Scholarship Committee at the submission address shown below.*Transfer students: Request a transcript from all of your previous institutions; those should also sent to the Scholarship Committee at the submission address shown below.
Application Submission Address
All four (4) parts of your completed application packet must be received by the close of the business day on the date due.
Hard-copy materials should be addressed and sent or delivered by the deadline to:
Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship Committee
c/o Jeannie Holt
WSU Lighty Student Services Building, Room 180
PO Box 641061 (Campus zip 1061)
Pullman, WA 99164-1061
If you elect to submit your completed and scanned Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship Application form and/or your Personal Statement by email, send materials by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org
Robert Ferguson, Gamma Chapter Chair of the Scholarship Committee, will respond to questions about the Phi Beta Kappa Scholarship application and process. Send an email to him at email@example.com, or phone him at 509-335-2520.